Vim alternatives and similar tools
Based on the "Editors" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Vim or a related project?
See Screenshots for more.
- Adds filetype glyphs (icons) to various vim plugins.
- Customizable and extendable glyphs settings.
- Supports a wide range of file type extensions.
- Supports popular full filenames, like
.vimrc, and many more.
- Supports byte order marker (BOM).
- Works with patched fonts, especially Nerd Fonts.
See Detailed Features for more.
See Configuration for a list of configuration and customization options.
- Install a Nerd Font compatible font or patch your own. Then set your terminal font (or
guifontif you are using GUI version of Vim).
Install the Vim plugin with your favorite plugin manager, e.g. vim-plug:
Always load the vim-devicons as the very last one.
No need to set explicitly under Neovim: always uses UTF-8 as the default encoding.
See Installation for detailed setup instructions
:help devicons for further configuration.
See [DEVELOPER](DEVELOPER.md) for how to use the API.
[Code of Conduct](CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md)
This project has adopted a Code of Conduct that we expect project participants to adhere to. Check out [code of conduct](CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md) for further details.
Read our [contributing](CONTRIBUTING.md) guide to learn about how to send pull requests, creating issues properly.
You can help us by simply giving a star or voting on vim.org. It will ensure continued development going forward.
Thanks goes to these people for inspiration and helping with sending PRs.
- nerdtree-git-plugin by @Xuyuanp
- seti-ui by @jesseweed
- devicons by @vorillaz
- development.svg.icons by @benatespina
- Learn Vimscript the Hard Way book by Steve Losh
- All contributors
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Vim README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.