Hindsight alternatives and similar tools
Based on the "Log Management" category.
Alternatively, view Hindsight alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
10.0 10.0 L2 Hindsight VS ElasticsearchFree and Open, Distributed, RESTful Search Engine
9.1 9.1 L4 Hindsight VS LogstashLogstash - transport and process your logs, events, or other data
2.4 0.0 L3 Hindsight VS EchofishCentral syslog manager with whitelisting and ability to generate events from syslog entries
Sending logs from docker containers to Logit.io
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Hindsight or a related project?
Hindsight is a C based data processing infrastructure based on the lua sandbox project. I have received several inquiries about a lighter weight and faster data pipeline with delivery guarantees to replace Heka. Hindsight is that light weight skeleton around the same lua sandbox offering 'at least once' delivery semantics. The skeleton is supplemented by extension packages including hundreds of data structures, algorithms, plugins, parsers and grammars. The extensions repository is where most of the active development is happening now as the core infrastructure (Hindsight and the Lua Sandbox) is stable and changes infrequently. There is also a Hindsight Administration UI available for monitoring, debugging and plugin management (you can check out a running instance here: hsadmin)
- Clang 3.1 or GCC 4.7+
- CMake (3.6+) - http://cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
- lua_sandbox (1.2.3+) - https://github.com/mozilla-services/lua_sandbox
- OpenSSL (1.0.x+, optional)
CMake Build Instructions
git clone https://github.com/mozilla-services/hindsight.git cd hindsight mkdir release cd release # Linux cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release .. make ctest cpack -G TGZ # (DEB|RPM|ZIP) # Cross platform support is planned but not supported yet
By default hindsight is linked against OpenSSL and configured to set locking callbacks in the
library to ensure proper threaded operation. If this functionality is not desired the cmake
-DWITHOUT_OPENSSL=true can be used to disable this, for example if you are not
using any sandboxes/modules that make use of OpenSSL and do not want the dependency.
- The main branch is the current release and is considered stable at all times.
- New versions can be released as frequently as every two weeks (our sprint cycle). The only exception would be for a high priority patch.
- All active work is flagged with the sprint milestone and tracked in the project dashboard.
- New releases occur the day after the sprint finishes.
- The version in the dev branch is updated
- The changes are merged into main
- A new tag is created
Docker images are constructed from the main and dev branches and can be pulled, or built using the Dockerfile.
Note that the Docker image built here is only a bare bones image containing just lua_sandbox and hindsight. For a more full featured image that also contains all of the extensions, see the Docker image for the extensions repo.
- All pull requests must be made against the dev branch, direct commits to main are not permitted.
- All non trivial contributions should start with an issue being filed (if it is a new feature please propose your design/approach before doing any work as not all feature requests are accepted).