Bareos alternatives and similar tools
Based on the "Backups" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Bareos or a related project?
Bareos (Backup Archiving Recovery Open Sourced) is a reliable, cross-network open source software for backup, archiving and recovery of data for all well-established operating systems. Features of Bareos include amongst others:
- True open source software; no open-core or other restrictions; License AGPLv3
- network based
- backends include Ceph, Gluster, S3
- multiple clients and storages possible; Active / passive clients possible
- Backup Clients ('Bareos-FD') available on Linux, Windows, MacOS, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, BSD
- Python plugin interface
- SAN-Backups using NDMP (with DAR/DDAR); NDMP tape support
- Always Incremental Backup scheme
- VMWare Plugin
- Scriptable CLI
- web based graphical interface (webui)
- Role-based ACL support for commands and objects
The source code of Bareos is available on https://github.com/bareos/ under the AGPL v3 license. Additionally Bareos offers binary package repositories for the major Linux distributions as well as for MacOS and Windows.
If you want to contribute something to this repo please read our contribution policy at
If you want to report a security-related problem, please take a look at our security policy.
The Bareos project offers two mailing lists: bareos-users and bareos-devel.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Bareos README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.