Prometheus alternatives and similar tools
Based on the "Metric & Metric Collection" category
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of Prometheus or a related project?
Visit prometheus.io for the full documentation, examples and guides.
Prometheus, a Cloud Native Computing Foundation project, is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true.
Prometheus' main distinguishing features as compared to other monitoring systems are:
- a multi-dimensional data model (timeseries defined by metric name and set of key/value dimensions)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no dependency on distributed storage; single server nodes are autonomous
- timeseries collection happens via a pull model over HTTP
- pushing timeseries is supported via an intermediary gateway
- targets are discovered via service discovery or static configuration
- multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
- support for hierarchical and horizontal federation
There are various ways of installing Prometheus.
Precompiled binaries for released versions are available in the download section on prometheus.io. Using the latest production release binary is the recommended way of installing Prometheus. See the Installing chapter in the documentation for all the details.
Debian packages are available.
You can launch a Prometheus container for trying it out with
$ docker run --name prometheus -d -p 127.0.0.1:9090:9090 prom/prometheus
Prometheus will now be reachable at http://localhost:9090/.
Building from source
To build Prometheus from the source code yourself you need to have a working Go environment with version 1.12 or greater installed.
You can directly use the
go tool to download and install the
promtool binaries into your
$ go get github.com/prometheus/prometheus/cmd/... $ prometheus --config.file=your_config.yml
You can also clone the repository yourself and build using
$ mkdir -p $GOPATH/src/github.com/prometheus $ cd $GOPATH/src/github.com/prometheus $ git clone https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus.git $ cd prometheus $ make build $ ./prometheus --config.file=your_config.yml
The Makefile provides several targets:
- build: build the
- test: run the tests
- test-short: run the short tests
- format: format the source code
- vet: check the source code for common errors
- assets: rebuild the static assets
- docker: build a docker container for the current
- The source code is periodically indexed: Prometheus Core.
- You will find a Travis CI configuration in
- See the Community page for how to reach the Prometheus developers and users on various communication channels.
Refer to CONTRIBUTING.md
Apache License 2.0, see LICENSE.
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the Prometheus README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.